Segovia - March 2019

By Ojrza - 12:56


Madrd is a good base for daytrips. By an accident a few days before going to Spain i found out about a small town called Segovia which lies on the other side of the mountains, merely 100km from Madrid. It is know for a roman aqueduct that towers over the lower part of the city. Just by looking at the photos I instantly planed out my excursion, I loved it.
The scenery was magical as well, snow-topped mountains in the background and vast yellowish grasslands. In my mind I saw riders on horses crossing the plains, or farmers looking over their herds or flocks.

Segovia has two train station and if you don't research it earlier you might get pretty much confused, because If you travel by a high-speen Renfe train you will get off at Segovia Guiomar. Literally in the middle of nowhere. But luckily there are buses synchronised with the train timetable that for a symbolic fare of 1-2 euros will take you downtown.





The sights were illydic.

Evcentually I arrived in the real Segovia, and the bus has dropped me off right in front of the majestic aqueduct. The city centre was on the top of the hill, so I headed off that way, bound to see the cathedral and alcazar, at least from the outside.


















The main square was charming, with a central pagoda, theatre and cathedral. I felt happy by just being there, enjoyed a coffee in one of the restaurants. It was not crowdy, a major advantage. Life in Segovia seemed so positively slow.

 My next stop was the cathedral. I wanted to go up the tower real bad, and the only way was to tag along a guided trip, where the language was Spanish. I am learning spanish, but not well enough to understand a lecture. So... I was pretty bored for an hour, but it was worth it.



























Old town's streets were the best part of it, I swear. They were exactly how you would imagine being in a small spanish provincial town like 200 years ago.








Alcazar is the second most famous sight. It's rising on a rocky crag above the confluence of two rivers. It makes an impression as you walk to the railings and see the abyss underneath you. Generally it's on the outskirts of town, outside of the city walls. I didn't go in because I was saving money and I kind of regret it now. 























Back to where I started. But this time I went in the opposite direction along the aqueduct.















I arrived at the Segovia station a long time before the departure. The station was so empty... Like the comparison to Segovia Guimar was wicked, all the tourists chose the faster route. From Segovia station I would arrive to Madrid after 1,5-2h because it was a slower, suburban train. 













Actually, taking two different train routes was smarter than I thought. I rode at sunset, and spent all the way by the window shooting all those amazing views that we were passing. Just look:























  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 komentarze