Madrid - March 2019

By Ojrza - 16:31


Oh Madrid! I've had an utterly brilliant experience in the capital of Spain. I found myself there because I took part in Athens programme - a one week exchange that takes place in different destinations in Europe, I was in Milan for the same reason last year and it was great but Madrid was honestly so much better.

I have spent 10 days there in total from which the course took 5 days and another 2-3 days were for social activities. My course was about discovering and analysing the city, but I will come to that later. It helped me to get a deeper understanding of a certain neighbourhood and its inhabitants, as we worked with local teachers who were both architects and sociologists. I find this experience extremely valuable.
Madrid is obviously the largest Spanish city, and as a proper heart of the country it lies ideally in the centre of the land. It offers literally everything, depending what you are looking for. History, nature, vibrant neighbourhoods, hustle of the city, suburbs.

After I flew in I was alone for two days and devoted them to exploration with a clean mind. I walked around without any particular destination, roaming the spanish streets and observing the vibrant life.










I came across Mercado De San Miguel. Mercados in Spain are simply the market halls. San Miguel was located in a beautiful XIXth century building and it served more fancy food and beverages, it was an exquisite one very pleasant to have a look around (but maybe not to buy anything).




















My airbnb was very close to the Cathedral and Royal Palace so I had pretty nice surroundings every day when I was walking downtown or to class.

I was genuinely surprised how many hills there are in Madrid. I lived near the river, so every day I had to walk up and up and up... But it was worth it, the views overlooking the city were pretty great.
















Gran Via is the most important street. The name even indicates so, it's literally called the Great Street. It is pretty accurate though because walking along it you get an impression mixed between London's Oxford Street and New York, but with adequate spanish charm. Very busy but very pleasant, with tall buildings crowned with gables or with vintage adverts/neons. 

If you get tired from the rustle, just turn to literally any street that does diagonally from Gran Via and it will certainly get more calm.



























When I finally met people from the course, we walked to a meetingpoint but accidentallystumbled upon a giant manifestationon of spanish minorities. It was a really unique experience, however people couldn't exactly explain to us what it was about, so... we still are not sure.

Whatever the reason was, a few thousands of protestants waving flags of different colours and coats of arms was something exciting.




















And then chilling & enjoying nightlfe in the spanish style.



























Retiro is a very big and fancy park, perfect for a picnic or to simply chill. Some major attractions are inside, like the fabulous Crystal Palace. In its central part there was indeed a festival of tourism, but the park wasso vast that any crowd was easily avoidable.










So now a few words about the course! 

We were looking into the district of central Madrid named Lavapies. Our classes basically consised of walking around it and completing different assignments in the field. Our tutors believed that we couldn't do this workshop properly just sitting in the classrom and making theories, and I am so grateful for that.

Lavapies is a super quirky neighbourhood with many faces. It used to be an immigrant district, inhabited by people from Senegal, China, India, Middle East... and a rather poor one, with a high rate of crime and drug-use. But then because of low rents a bunch of students and artists moved in, improving the space as they could with street art and opening up quirky cafes and bars. Lavapies has a really interesting character and is facing a lot of different problems and we were discovering  and discussing them.




























Mercado De San Fernando was a mercado in Lavapies that we attended very frequently. It was hidden and probably I would never find it if we weren't led there, it is a vary very local place. One of the stalls was serving the best and cheapest paella I have had.

On out last day we were conducting performances in the mercado as a part of the course.















Ooh, Sala Equis is a one worth mentioning. It used to be a cinema showing explicit adult films, what is still kind of visible in the interior design and the atmosphere. You know, red lights, velvet chairs...

Now it is a super popular bar!







To make sure we don't miss out any must-sees of Madrid we eventually visited the cathedral and the royal palace. Luckily they were next to one another, so it's pretty logical to do both at one time. I enjoyed both, the palace was posh and luxurious and the cathedral rather plain and elegant.




























Here are a few more shots from Lavapies, as we were saying goodbye to the course.








Quite near the castle there was a viewpoint that we almost missed. I would feel very sorry, I love viewpoints.






They also have some ruins of an egyptian temple in this park by the viewpoint. This is something I wouldn't expect.


We attended the most famous and oldest churros venue in Madrid. It was delicious, I don't think they will ever taste as good anywhere else.




The last curiosity I would want to share is the Atocha train station. Why? Because they have a botanical garden inside the station! I haven't ever waited for a train in better atmosphere than sitting between palm trees and exotic bushes.









  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 komentarze